Skip to main content

Watercolor Paintings

I have this picture hanging in my room that I painted last summer. Usually it doesn't bother me. Today I walked into my room and the tears were inevitable. I looked at it and cried. Almost a year ago I painted said picture while sitting at the kitchen counter with the little girl I watched over the summer. Who would have thought that a year later it would be a water-color, wrinkled piece a paper I may never be able to part with.

You see this picture isn't just any picture. Its a picture of my family. The little girl I watched, we will call her B, wanted to paint. So we did. I watched as she moved lots of paint and water around on several pieces of paper in a short amount of time before I suggested she paint a picture of her family. The idea was to slow her down and make her take her time before she claimed she was done painting and bored already. To a complete surprise she agreed but only if I did the same. I watched as B painted her Mom, Dad, brother, and dog, paying close attention to each color she used for each person and what the person was doing. I sat next to her doing the same. Drawing Dad, Mom, T, and S, and myself. Each of us in a color that reminded me of the person and something near them that I associated with them. Careful details to what each was wearing and their hair. I put my paint brush down to check my phone and B looked over and asked me "don't you have a brother? why didn't you paint him?". I explained for the 9 hundredth time that summer that CJ wasn't born yet and I couldn't paint him if I didn't know what he looked like. As usual, to my kindergarten graduate, I was wrong. "He's still your brother." The words ring loud in my head almost a year later. She was right, so I painted in a baby. End of the day I put the painting on the back seat and drove home. Excited to hang it on the fridge like a 6 year old. 

That same day, I walked in to hear that we had lost Christian.

The picture never made it to the fridge. It sat in the back seat of the car for the next few days while we were at the hospital, church, and cemetery. It wasn't until I was headed to the grocery store a few days later with S that she noticed it on the floor and asked what it was. 

Its a watercolor painting. That's it. To the naked, unknowing eye, its just a painting that could have been done by a 6 year old (I'm no Picasso). To me... it's a reminder. "He's still your brother." 


So here's my message to all the grieving siblings out there. (Because there seems to be a ton of support groups out there for parents but few for siblings. If I'm wrong... point me in the right direction!) No matter how long you physically had/have your brother/sister for... they will still be your brother/sister. Death does not change that. Just because they have physically left your life does not mean they are gone forever. They are with you in the ways that you keep them. Christian is my little tag along every where I go because I #doitforCJ. Don't be ashamed to share your story! It's hard, I admit to crying while typing this and it took me almost a year to share this part of the story. But the lives you can touch are countless. You never know how your story will change someone until it's shared. 

So this week... when you see someone who could use a smile. Give it to them. Give them a reason to smile. Something as silly as drawing eye brows on the dog can spark laughter for hours. A simple text reminding an old friend that you are praying for them goes a long way. When you do it..... #doitforCJ.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"What do you actually do all day?!"

No matter who I talk to at home I get the same question... "What do you actually do all day?!" Before I left all anyone knew was that I was working at an attraction, which seems self explanatory. You would think that saying "I work at The Seas with Nemo and Friends would be a sufficient answer, that someone would piece together that there is a ride there and that I help to operate the ride all day long. But, it isn't that simple. Bear with me here, all my "Nemo terms" are going to have to be explained so this post could end up being rather lengthy, which is not my intention. Here we go, a day in the life.... (my first official day, on my own) Woke up at 7am to be ready for a 7:40 bus. Should I have been up earlier? Yes. Did the previous days 5:15am wake up call keep me in bed longer than I wanted? Yes. But, made the bus. Take the bus to Epcot Cast Center (backstage Epcot - anything that guests can see is considered on stage, so everything you cant see/ge

Decisions.

Some of the toughest decisions are those where we have to decide if we should stay or walk away from a situation. It's never an easy decision to make, but sometimes it's the best thing for you. After my junior year of NCAA soccer I was faced with decision of whether or not I wanted to continue my career. After two solid seasons in the net I found myself on the bench my entire jr year until the very last game, which was ultimately more of a slap in the face than anything. Like "hey we aren't going to make tournament unless we win this game against the best team in the conference who also happens to be top 10 in the nation. No pressure." I was disappointed in myself after that game, and hung my head ashamed that I didn't make a difference that season. I beat myself up all season long about not being on the field. I felt guilty after a loss, but I wasn't even the one on the field. But that's where I had to stop myself. I couldn't throw a pity party,

Birthdays

I'm really good at stirring the pot. Really good. So... grab your coffee/beer/wine/water/apple juice... whatever the H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS you want to fill your cup with, buckle up, and enjoy the ride. Last week we celebrated Christian's first birthday. Notice I said celebrated. I did not say mourned, forgot, overlooked, disregarded, or neglected. We did not ignore that we have a brother/son. We lite candles and hung the star lights from his nursery on the porch the night before his birthday and the day of we took him balloons and spent the day together. Had his physical presence been her with us we would have celebrated the exact same way. Celebrated. Together. Being a newb (newbie) to this whole baby brother in heaven thing, I didn't know what to expect for his first birthday. Would people acknowledge that it was the day he was born? Or would they continue to overlook that I have a brother. Now, let me explain. The past year has been full of saying CJ's name. A