Skip to main content

Decisions.

Some of the toughest decisions are those where we have to decide if we should stay or walk away from a situation. It's never an easy decision to make, but sometimes it's the best thing for you.

After my junior year of NCAA soccer I was faced with decision of whether or not I wanted to continue my career. After two solid seasons in the net I found myself on the bench my entire jr year until the very last game, which was ultimately more of a slap in the face than anything. Like "hey we aren't going to make tournament unless we win this game against the best team in the conference who also happens to be top 10 in the nation. No pressure." I was disappointed in myself after that game, and hung my head ashamed that I didn't make a difference that season. I beat myself up all season long about not being on the field. I felt guilty after a loss, but I wasn't even the one on the field. But that's where I had to stop myself. I couldn't throw a pity party, the decision to sit the bench all season was not mine.

I answered questions from the men's team, people on campus, professors, family, friends and even teammates as to why I wasn't playing. If i had a legitimate answer I would have given it to you. Except every time I sought an answer.. I didn't get it. "Work harder, show us you want it, you're time will come, we don't think you're ready since your brother and all.." Yeah, I heard that last one. And not just from one person, from multiple people in the athletic office. (I'm sorry, but if you really thought there was something going on you could have contacted a sports psych to talk to me. But don't EVER blame Christian, I was set to play my ass for that little boy... I wouldn't have come back if I wasn't' ready.) I heard everything in the book. Never was I told what to work on to better myself or to get my spot back. So I stopped asking. I sat the bench for 90 minute games and then went to the gym to run instead of going back to my room. I watched as we lost to teams we beat the year prior, watched as we gave up games we were winning, busted my butt in practices only to sit the bench.

I walked away from the season hating soccer. Something that got me through my childhood, was a huge part of my life, was my passion.... turned into something I couldn't stand. I didn't want to talk about it, I wanted nothing to do with it. I went to Disney excited to find myself, find the person other than the athlete I had become. And I did! I had a blast, made friends from all over the world, came out of my shell and hosted a show in front of 210 people every 20 minutes, and talked to strangers all day long. And then out of nowhere I get a call that the keeper who played all season was leaving. Suddenly there was a push to make sure I was coming back.  At first, it was exciting. "Here's my chance!" And then all those negative feelings came back. Why on earth would I want to put myself back in that situation? I was really going to go back and play where I was told just a few months prior that the reason I wasn't playing was because my brother had died? Bullshit. Not a chance in hell.

So yes, for the hundredth time, I am not playing soccer for my university this year. No, it's not just because I didn't get play time. The issue was so much larger than that. There was no communication and when there was it was pitiful. I am a very prideful person and to put that jersey back on (if I ever actually got to) would have hurt more than anything. You don't treat an upperclassmen that way I was treated, you don't bench a starter who has set school records without having a conversation with a damn good answer.

The decision hurt, if anything I walked away from a family who I am sure is pissed as all hell that i didn't come back. They probably feel like I left them out to dry. But I had to do what was best for me. Last season tore me apart and I couldn't put myself through that hell again. But in the end, my decision was the right one. I've been able to apply to volunteer with organizations that I am interested in working with in the future, and am happy to say that those opportunities will be coming up in the fall. I'm focused more than ever on my school work and look forward to graduating. I've realized that I am more than a jersey number, I am more than the athlete that so many know me by,

I challenge all my readers to change. If there is something holding you back, something keeping you from doing something you want, something that is toxic to you... get rid of it. Find yourself. Be yourself. People are going to judge you. But those who love you and support you will stand by through it all.

Be bold enough to use your voice, brave enough to listen to your heart, and strong enough to live the life you've always imagined.
#doitforCJ 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Easter!

If someone showed you a picture of Celine Dion would you be able to recognize it was her? More than likely if you are from a younger generation you wouldn't be able to. But if someone played one of her songs, you could probably guess it was her. If she walked right past you in Disney World you probably would have missed her too. Like a normal person, walking right at me, was Celine Dion. How I realized it was her is beyond me. I didn't believe it was her until I went upstairs and asked if she was in the building. Didn't exchange any words, but a sighting is good enough. How many people can say they saw Celine Dion while they were at work? Kids continue to say the strangest things.... In a Turtle Talk show (of course, where else would such a story come from?) a little girl asked Crush if he was going to eat one of his friends which one would he pick. Morbid. What child thinks of this? Crush of course said none because fish are friends not food, and then asked the same ques

Dear CJ...

Dear CJ, Hiya baby brother! Hope you're running around causing havoc in heaven. I'm sure your laughing until your belly hurts now that Joan and Robin are up there with you. I would give anything to be with you but until then I need to ask a favor...  The holidays are coming and for any family with someone newly in heaven that can be rough. I need you to remind your family that our hearts will be heavy. Sure, it's been a year but no amount of time can take away the hurt we feel. We will always miss you and the holidays will never quite be right without you. Remind them to be gentle. Remind them to acknowledge you, hearing your name is SO much better than feeling like you are forgotten. We don't need another Christmas like last year.  I start a new job next week, keep me motivated to work and go to school full time. Dreams only become a reality if you work towards them and the cards have finally fallen in the right way to start making that happen. When it see

Wrapping Up Week Two

I've been here for almost two weeks now and have a new meaning to the word exhausted. Exhausted as a Disney guest and exhausted as a Disney cast member are two totally different things. Exhausted taking on a whole new meaning today. This week I had training all week for The Seas with Nemo and Friends. I cannot tell you how ecstatic I was to learn that I would be working in The Seas. I am a huge Nemo fan, so to spend my days with Nemo, Crush and Dory is just prime. My favorite part, so far, of working The Seas is working Turtle Talk with Crush. If you haven't seen this show I highly recommend it! Its an interactive show with non other than Crush the turtle. Its very adorable, and so much fun. Seeing little kids faces when they get the chance to ask Crush a question is just priceless. Definitely my favorite part of the day. Other than that I work the ride. Don't ya feel safe? Ride ops is in MY control :) Its a blast and I work with some pretty awesome people. Not to men