Skip to main content

October

Happy October everyone! Maybe you're excited about fall weather, football season, or whatever pumpkin spice drink you prefer now being available. Or maybe the realization that Christmas is only 12 Fridays away is just too much to handle right now. Whatever the case may be, I want to shed some light on the month of October. I'm sure we are all aware that October is breast cancer awareness month. The NFL will allow teams to wear pink, high schools will have fundraisers, you'll be hit up for final donations by people taking part in some breast cancer awareness walk/run. But did you know that October is also National Pregnancy and Infant Loss and Awareness month? It's okay if you don't, it's a taboo topic and I wouldn't expect anyone to know unless they were in my shoes.

In 1988, President Ronald Reagan designated October as Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness month. The campaign started in 2002 when a group of women petitioned the federal government to recognize October 15th as Pregnancy and Infant Loss remembrance Day, by 2006 they had the support of the House of Representatives.

 In 2000 according to a statistics report done by the CDC, 15.6% (1,003,000 of the 6,401,000) pregnancies in the US ended in either miscarriage or stillbirth. That same study says that of the 4,093,000 live births in 2003, 27,500 ended in the death of an infant under the age of one.

Reagan and this group of women who founded this month and day of awareness sought out the ability for people to become aware and for families to share their stories but still this is a topic that is kept hush hush. No one wants to hear of a baby dying, but that is our reality. It happens every day across the country. When a spouse loses his or her partner they are considered a widow/er, when a child loses his/her parent(s) they are considered and orphan. When my parents, sisters, and I lost Christian... there was no word for us as siblings and parents. This month recognizes those parents and siblings and also provides resources for people in this position. On October 15th at 7pm, in all time zones all over the world, families will light candles to remember their children.

I encourage you to look into more than just breast cancer this month. The giant "support bra" was unveiled this morning in Chicago to raise awareness for early detection of breast cancer, everything will soon turn pink for the entire month. We get a day, one day worldwide to light candles and remember our sons/daughters/brothers/sisters. Be with us as we remember and celebrate their lives. Support people in this unfortunate situation. And most importantly... be aware. October is so much more than Breast Cancer Awareness month. #doitforCJ

October 15, 2013 - candle in remembrance of Christian Jonathan Cruz Aguilar 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Easter!

If someone showed you a picture of Celine Dion would you be able to recognize it was her? More than likely if you are from a younger generation you wouldn't be able to. But if someone played one of her songs, you could probably guess it was her. If she walked right past you in Disney World you probably would have missed her too. Like a normal person, walking right at me, was Celine Dion. How I realized it was her is beyond me. I didn't believe it was her until I went upstairs and asked if she was in the building. Didn't exchange any words, but a sighting is good enough. How many people can say they saw Celine Dion while they were at work? Kids continue to say the strangest things.... In a Turtle Talk show (of course, where else would such a story come from?) a little girl asked Crush if he was going to eat one of his friends which one would he pick. Morbid. What child thinks of this? Crush of course said none because fish are friends not food, and then asked the same ques

Dear CJ...

Dear CJ, Hiya baby brother! Hope you're running around causing havoc in heaven. I'm sure your laughing until your belly hurts now that Joan and Robin are up there with you. I would give anything to be with you but until then I need to ask a favor...  The holidays are coming and for any family with someone newly in heaven that can be rough. I need you to remind your family that our hearts will be heavy. Sure, it's been a year but no amount of time can take away the hurt we feel. We will always miss you and the holidays will never quite be right without you. Remind them to be gentle. Remind them to acknowledge you, hearing your name is SO much better than feeling like you are forgotten. We don't need another Christmas like last year.  I start a new job next week, keep me motivated to work and go to school full time. Dreams only become a reality if you work towards them and the cards have finally fallen in the right way to start making that happen. When it see

Wrapping Up Week Two

I've been here for almost two weeks now and have a new meaning to the word exhausted. Exhausted as a Disney guest and exhausted as a Disney cast member are two totally different things. Exhausted taking on a whole new meaning today. This week I had training all week for The Seas with Nemo and Friends. I cannot tell you how ecstatic I was to learn that I would be working in The Seas. I am a huge Nemo fan, so to spend my days with Nemo, Crush and Dory is just prime. My favorite part, so far, of working The Seas is working Turtle Talk with Crush. If you haven't seen this show I highly recommend it! Its an interactive show with non other than Crush the turtle. Its very adorable, and so much fun. Seeing little kids faces when they get the chance to ask Crush a question is just priceless. Definitely my favorite part of the day. Other than that I work the ride. Don't ya feel safe? Ride ops is in MY control :) Its a blast and I work with some pretty awesome people. Not to men